Thursday, March 12, 2009

Evolution?


The day all newspapers in print will come to an end will be a sad day for many who cannot afford to buy a computer. Some will say that similar argument was made when telephones began to be a familiar tool of communication, yet in 2009 I personally know of people who still cannot afford the basic price of a monthly telephone service and/or a subscription to an Internet provider.
But when that day arrives more than the underprivileged will feel a void. Don't get me wrong, I love technology but I know what happens when I begin to read News online. One link takes me to another and in no time (in my mind only)I have traveled through many sites, readjusted the pillow on my back several times, drank many cups of coffee, went down an up the stairs more than once taking short breaks in frustration, when I cannot find the words I need in writing a letter to the Editor. Yes, I prefer to find my newspapers at my front door everyday and I cannot imagine a world without them. But again, there is a bit of romanticism in my thinking as I look at a photograph of a Paris café on my wall, a table with two coffee cups next to the daily "Le Monde" all facing the cathedral. Sigh....

With "progress" we are reshaping our way of doing and thinking but I am not so sure that the inevitable changes of our "physical" brain should be associated with "evolution" - as we know it- in our Prozac society. Our evolution is producing so many addiction disorders that soon we will ran out of alphabet letters to name them. IAD anyone?

1 comment:

Larry said...

I agree with this commentary 100 percent. I find reading a newspaper or magazine much more relaxing and kinder to the eyesight. It's a proven fact that the print resolution of newspapers is better then online print.
Maybe I'm showing signs of old age, but I'm drifting back to sitting in a comfortable chair and reading a good book. But, then again that's what I did in my youth.
Larry