Monday, August 25, 2008

Dreams never die

Today was the first day of the Democratic party Convention in Denver. I wish I could have been there and for the whole week. But instead I watched from my home. I was very moved by two people: Ted Kennedy and Michelle Obama. Ted Kennedy, who besides his brain cancer not only showed up - looking pretty good I must say- but delivered a powerful speech. this 76 years old Senator has seen a lot of tragedies in his life time and it was evident that the audience was very touched by his presence while fearful for his being. I am so glad I had the chance to meet him last year when he came to Philadelphia for a fund raiser I was invited to attend .



Caroline Kennedy was the one who introduced "Uncle Teddy". I am glad that she mentioned that he took a strong stand against the war on Iraq and that we have the choice to either see our country moving forward or fall over further behind. Well said, Caroline.

Senator Kennedy's voice was a little shaky at times but his physical strength appeared the same as when I met him. The guy wanted to be there and nothing would have stopped him. He spoke about a new hope, renewal for our nation, that hope was the cause of his life, that dreams never die and that health care (for all) was not a privilege and as he spoke about the gaps that Obama will end between groups of people he mentioned the one of Straights against Gays. BRAVO! the Conservative Republicans watching this must have diarrhea on this one!

Ah! Michelle Obama. What a woman! She was the highlight of the night! A passionate speech that brought tears to the eyes of many people, men and women in the audience. When she said that "We have an obligation to thrive for the world as it should be", I thought of the past eight years that I lived, all the protests against the war, the petitions I have signed, the visits to senators and congressmen, my working for Howard Dean's Campaign, my trust and dreams during the past two presidential elections and I felt a great sadness.

She paid tribute to Hillary Clinton (well done), but one of my favorite time was when she said "This time we listen to our hopes rather than our fears" YEAH! you go Michelle!

Tomorrow, Tuesday, Hillary Clinton will take the stage. I cannot wait for the damn thing to be over! But I am looking forward Thursday when it will be Barack Obama's turn!

We better win this one! My friend, L. says that Obama has no chance. I am going to say it again: if Obama does not win, it is for one reason only :PURE RACISM!

No comments: