Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 anniversary does not unite us

I want to puke when I see flags coming out on national holidays - as if all of the sudden people become patriots- but when on the anniversary of 9/11 I see not only flags but signs that read "We will never forget" I want to scream HYPOCRITES! See, I have neighbors who want to be seen as TRUE Americans (sic) yet who rarely vote ( I should know, I work for many years as Inspector of Minority in my district), and who never openly support any candidates. Wife is registered Democrat, husband Republican. Those kind of people want to please all but mostly do not have the guts to show their true color. See, where I live in the suburb of Philadelphia where big homes and plush gardens outnumber modest proprieties and poor working class neighborhoods and believe or not but where the practice from the republican party had been to encourage new comers to register under the big "R". Yes, I want to puke. As I am writing this, husband ( not mine, but neighbor) is again cutting his grass. God forbid, one millimeter of an inch too high would not look good. And so, every two days we are all bombarded with the noise of his gas mower from his obsessive compulsive sickness. Perfect home from the outside, powder to the eyes of passersby. But I know better from all the monies he borrowed from me through the years and the lies told with a straight face. Such people exist everywhere but it is hard to live next door to them. I would like to tell them that they do not fool me, that their flag does not make them what they pretend to be, that their fucking sign " We Will Never Forget" made someone richer when they bought it and I would like to ask them that if THEY will never forget what happened on September 11, 2001, will they also NEVER forget the anniversary of the war on Iraq? WILL THEY? Much is being said about seven years old children who ask about what happened that day and try to make sense of the tragedy, but are we asking ourselves what is happening in the mind of the seven years old Iraqi children who have lost their parents and the ones who have been wounded? Do we ask ourselves what will be the future for those kids? No, 9/11 did not unite us for long, as if it did we all be screaming outrage , ask for forgiveness but most of all demand justice for all of our soldiers who died in Iraq and for all the innocent victims of George W. Bush 's war.

No comments: