Saturday, January 17, 2009

Farewell, Mr. President

Mr. President,

In 2004, I wrote an open letter "Mr. President, I want to know" (the President was you.) Today, I am somewhat revising my letter, especially after you recently expressed your disappointment for not finding any WMD in Iraq, hoping that you will get it on January 20Th.

So, Mr. President, I still want to know what is a mother to say to her child when old enough to ask why did Dad go to war, why did he have to die?
What should we read on the tombs of the brave American soldiers who lost their lives? What should we tell the orphans of Iraq?
I want to know the name of the God you pray, the one who told you that you were right to attack Iraq, how you managed to smile and lied at the same time, how you could and still can sleep at night.
I want to know how many poor families, how many people without health insurance, how many of our own we could have helped with the billions we spent in Iraq.

Mr. President I was hoping that before you leave would have been humble enough to say that you are sorry, instead of pointing fingers at those who “mislead” you. If I cannot find peace for your war that I call a massacre, it would have restored in me total faith in humanity.

Mr. President, you have not been impeached although you committed crimes against our Constitution ( authorized torture, lied about it, authorized surveillance on American citizens, went to war under false pretense and more), but impeachment would not have brought back our sisters and brothers neither the innocents civilians, women and children who lost their lives in Iraq just because they happened to be there. Your legacy will be “the war
president.” You own it.
But, because I believe in Justice, I know that one day you will be made accountable.
So, just for now I say farewell.

Monique Frugier
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~Martin Luther King Jr.~

No comments: